Four years ago, PlannerTuts was born.
Up until that point, I had been a Primavera P6 trainer & consultant contracting for a local Primavera rep, doing what most trainers and consultants do – run training classes and help companies implement & integrate Primavera P6. PlannerTuts started primarily as a tool for documentation. Working with clients, I found I kept having to explain a P6 concept or procedure over and over. I had run a blog before, so I decided to start one about Primavera P6 and document these little-known procedures, with full screenshots, comments and even the occasional video.
I found other experts online – people who had solutions I had never heard of or considered. I asked them if they wanted to document their solution on our blog. And PlannerTuts sort of grew like that. Primavera P6 users like yourself wanted / needed well-written, detailed tutorials. Even more than that, you demanded video, riding the trend of this great internet age we’re in. And in 2013 PlannerTuts Premium was born to deliver those to planners and schedulers. It did so successfully – training hundreds of P6 users across 38 countries and multiple industries. (PS: check out the full list of our expert trainers & contributors)
PlannerTuts Premium did it’s job well – delivering videos and articles online. But in my heart, I’m a technology guy and I monitor trends in tech and use lots of cutting-edge tech services to run my business. So I knew what was possible with today’s web platforms and I wanted to move our training to that next level in user experience and immersion.
Before I go there, a brief aside about our new name.
What’s this new name all about – Plan Academy?
It was time for a change.
The name PlannerTuts was chosen pretty hastily if I remember well. I had a few tutorials written and I needed a place to put them. Inspired by many tutorial websites I’d come across in the web and graphics design industries, I thought Planner-Tuts was a clever name that merged the concepts of Planning and Tutorials. It seemed to make perfect sense.
But little did I know there are so many different ways to pronounce “TUTS”!
This became pretty obvious when introducing myself, say over the phone:
“Hi, it’s Michael calling from PlannerTuts.”
“Planner /tuh-ts/” (I just found a pronunciation guide, but it’s a bit too late, alas!)
“Oh. Michael from PlannerToots.”
It got comical after a while. Personally, I had never considered Tuts to be pronounced “Toots” – even though that’s the pronunciation of “Toot-torial.” I used to say “As in King Tut.” But I think that confused people even more.
Plan Academy became an obvious shoe-in for our rebranding of PlannerTuts.
- It’s easy to pronounce.
- It conveys the core offerings of the company – excellence in education and training for the project planning community.
- It’s simple and concise.
The underlying company hasn’t changed at all with this rebranding. We haven’t been acquired or merged with any other companies or entities. We just changed our name to better reflect the image and value that we want to project.
I’m thrilled to be able to present our training and support under the new banner of Plan Academy. I hope you like it too.
Okay, great. So what’s the Plan Academy platform anyway?
Great question. Let me give you a brief overview of what’s new and exciting.
Plan Academy is now a learning platform with a set of integrated features that provide our members with a great learning experience.
Here’s a bullet list of what’s new on Plan Academy:
- Looks great on devices – Plan Academy is fully responsive, meaning it’s built to look great on tablets and smartphone.
- Track your learning progress – Mark lessons or assignments as Completed. Track all of your learning progress on a Dashboard.
- Bookmark ANY content – Bookmark lessons, Ebooks, Forum discussions or even Blog articles. Manage them into folders.
- Easier Navigation – The site has been completely redesigned and is layed out to help you get around faster and with less clicks.
- Team Reports – For Team or Company accounts, team managers can now login and view training progress of their team members.
- Better Search – Search specific areas of the site, or search EVERYTHING. The Search is much improved.
- Gamification – We’ve even made it a bit fun. Earn badges as you progress through your learning and interact with the platform.
Along with our new platform, we’ve released 3 new courses for you!
- Getting Started with Primavera P6 EPPM – Take your first steps with Primavera P6 EPPM – Oracle’s web-version of Primavera P6. David Cumming is a Certified Primavera P6 Trainer and he will teach you this course on EPPM. We’ve even got an Installation Guide!
- Advanced P6 Reporting with Excel – Trevor Watt is going to blow your socks off with his course on reporting in Excel. Watch Trevor show you his secret techniques for quick, easy and beautiful graphs from P6 data in Excel.
- Cost Management in Primavera P6 Professional (coming March 25th) – I’ll be your guide on this journey into cost-loading schedules and managing costs in P6 Professional.
Not to mention we’ve added new hands-on workshops for our members to complete and practice – for the following courses:
- Essential Activity Codes in Primavera P6
- Project Baselines in Primavera P6
- Progress Updating in Primavera P6
We’re reworking our certificate process as a result. We’ve really tried to pile on new things for you to experience.
What’s coming next at Plan Academy?
I believe in constant, never-ending improvement – Kaizen. And there’s still more coming in the next 6 months.
- A course on Earned Value Management. I’ve had many requests for this course and it’s definitely on our list. EVM is a now a core competency for planners and schedulers and we intend to ensure we deliver quality training on it.
- A followup course on EPPM. This course will cover Resource Management, Baselining and Progressing in Primavera P6 EPPM.
- More Advanced P6 Reporting in Excel. Trevor Watt isn’t done – he’s got more Excel secrets to share.
- We’re toying with the idea of launching a reseller program so others can earn by promoting our training. If you’re interested, drop us a note at email@example.com,
And there’s even more platform enhancements for members coming too.
The (near) future of Plan Academy
As I mentioned, all of this exciting content is coming within six months. But our membership plans and pricing hasn’t changed …yet. It’s a good time to join now.
So, don’t miss out – join Plan Academy today.