This is a comprehensive video guide to installing Primavera P6 Professional 15.1 in standalone mode with Microsoft SQL Express 2014. If you want a fully functioning P6 Professional standalone install, then this video guide is for you!
Why Install Primavera P6 15.1 with Microsoft SQL Express?
I’ve covered a little about why you might want to use SQL Express in this installation video, but let me recap for you.
Primavera P6 Professional 15.1 standalone now installs with a simplified database backend – SQLite. SQLite is about as simple as it gets; it’s serverless, completely self-contained, requires no configuration and it basically just looks like a big file on your hard drive. There are no background services to start and stop and no users to manage. If you’re interested, you can dive into all of it’s simplistic awesomeness here. It makes good sense for Oracle to move to SQLite for the standalone version of Primavera P6 Professional 15.1
But, there’s a catch.
Burried in the P6 documentation, I’ve discovered that a few much-loved features vanish from P6 when you install it using SQLite. What are they?
Primavera P6 Features that are disabled with SQLite:
- Claim Digger – P6’s somewhat clunky project comparison tool. It is well used so this a loss for some users.
- Risk Analysis integration or other integrations that use the P6 Professional API are not supported
- Update Baseline – The ability to update an existing baseline from a current project is disabled. This is good feature that makes life easier in some situations.
- Advanced XML Import options – A recently rolled-out feature that allows users the ability to pick what global objects are imported with XML. Very handy for keeping dbs clean.
So, if you feel you absolutely can’t do without these features, then this video install guide is for you.
Will I Be Able to Complete Plan Academy’s Online Training using P6 with an SQLite database?
Absolutely! 99.9% of our training is not affected by the disabled featured in the new standalone install of P6. We do have some lessons that discuss the Update Baseline feature as part of the Project Baselines in Primavera P6 online course. However, you will still be able to complete the lessons and workshops.
About the Installation Process
Feel free to follow along with this comprehensive install video guide. I’ve tried to make this video as detailed as possible, so feel free to skip sections that you don’t need. I’ve included quite a bit of troubleshooting bits as well, since I had difficulties myself getting things working.
This installation process is :
- About 1 hour in duration. Give yourself lots of time.
- At an Advanced level – not for those who might be uncomfortable with some fairly deep windows and database configuration
If you have questions, post them in the Community Forums.
This training content is exclusive to members of Plan Academy.
Members can login immediately and get access to this content and a wide collection of eBooks, Webinars, Tutorials and of course our Primarvera Video Course materials. Read our FAQ if you would like more information.Start YOUR Primavera P6 Training Now!