Do your milestone activities have valid relationship? Have you ever checked Primavera P6 schedule log to trace invalid relationship between milestone activities? This tutorial describes on how to check the invalid relationship between milestone activities in a primavera project schedule.
What’s a Milestone Activity?
Milestones are zero day activities which help to mark important events in the project schedule. Choosing the type of milestone affects the display of activity sequencing and should be based on sound reasoning. Milestone activities have certain relationships which are valid. When we use milestone activities in our schedule, we need to follow the below rules.
- Start milestone should be driven by its predecessor with FS or SS relationships.
- Start milestone should drive its successors with SS or SF relationship.
- Finish milestone should be driven by its predecessor with FF or SF relationships.
- Finish milestone should drive its successors with FS or FF relationship.
Valid Relationships Between Milestone Activities
- The true relationship between two start milestone activities is SS.
- The true relationship from start milestone activity to finish milestone activity is SF.
- The true relationship between two Finish milestone activities is FF.
- The true relationship from finish milestone activity to start milestone activity is FS.
How Does Primavera P6 Validate the Relationship Between Milestone Activities?
In Primavera P6,
- When two start milestones are linked, the only available relationships in P6 are FS & SS, however, the schedule log will report error on using FS, but not on SS.
- When two finish milestones are linked, the only available relationships in P6 are FS & FF, however, the schedule log will report error on using FS, but not on FF.
- When a start milestone is linked to a finish milestone, the only available relationships in P6 are FS & SF. The schedule log does not report error with any of the relationship type.
- When a finish milestone is linked to a start milestone, the only available relationship in P6 is FS.
Step 1 – Project schedule with milestone activities
A simple CPM schedule was created using Primavera P6 V7, which contains 4 milestone activities as show below.The project deliverables were been marked with finish milestone activity namely ‘Delivery I’ and ‘Delivery II’, these two deliverables are independent thus they are finally connected to ‘Finish of Project’ activity, which means once the deliverables are achieved the project gets completed.
This training content is exclusive to members of Plan Academy.
Members can login immediately and get access to this content and a wide collection of eBooks, Webinars, Tutorials and of course our Primarvera Video Course materials. Read our FAQ if you would like more information.Start YOUR Primavera P6 Training Now!