Planning a Construction Project Schedule Is 20% Using Software &
80% Implementing Proper Planning & Scheduling Techniques
Creating a good construction project schedule is difficult effort.
But it can be a wasted effort if we don’t start with principles first; the principles of proper CPM scheduling. That’s why I created a course that focuses on the foundations of good scheduling.
This course will take the complexity and confusion out of planning & scheduling projects with professional videos that are clear and concise. And you can watch them as many times as it takes.
I will guide you step-by-step through the process of building a good CPM schedule.
Not only that, I share real-world examples and situations from over 26 years of experience in the field of Project Controls.
Whether you’re confused by all of the jargon of the project controls world, or you just need to fill in your knowledge gaps, I will share everything you need to know about scheduling Construction projects, from definitions to expert techniques and processes.
I believe that anyone can create good CPM schedules and manage them to help drive a successful construction project. It just takes patience, dedication, and the right amount of focused learning, starting with principles first.
Join me and let’s explore Construction Planning & Scheduling together.
What You Will Learn
- Real-world skills to build real-world construction project schedules.
- Find out what skills make an ideal planner & scheduler.
- Get different perspectives on scheduling from both the Contractors and the Owners point of view.
- Understand the critical path method algorithm with multiple examples ranging from basic to complex.
- Get insights on common pitfalls to avoid while building your construction schedule.
- Learn important concepts for analyzing your CPM schedule, including Negative Float, Free Float, Driving Relationships, Imposed Finish Dates and more.
- Go deep on how poor relationship linking can impact your ability to manage your schedule.
Total Course Time: 4h 50m
The course is broken into 7 modules, with each module focusing on an essential topic. Each module builds on the last one and helps to you see the big picture. A big focus of this course is the Critical Path Method, as well as how to build CPM schedules. I’ll show you the process step-by-step.
Let’s take you through the Construction Planning & Scheduling course topics in detail.
Module 2: Visual Planning with Bar Charts3 lessons | 17 mins
- Basic Scheduling with Bar Charts
- Advantages & Disadvantages of Bar Charts
- How to Best Use Bar Charts
Module 5: Critical Path Method Scheduling12 lessons | 1 hr 07 mins
- How to Do CPM Scheduling: Walking Through an Example
- Defining The Critical Path
- CPM Example 2
- What is Free Float?
- Date Constraints & Their Impacts
- Who Owns the Float?
- What Drives Driving Relationships
- End of Day convention
- Applying an Imposed Finish Date to Your Project
- What is Negative Float?
- The Impact of Calendars on CPM Schedules
- Non Work Days & Calendars
- Module 5 Quiz
Module 6: Logic Relationships & Precedence Networks6 lessons | 40 mins
- Logic Relationships and Precedence Networks
- Logic Linking Example with Start-to-Start Relationships
- Logic Linking Example With Lags
- Logic Linking Example With Finish-to-Finish Relationships
- Combining S-S And F-F Relationships: An example
- Dynamic Minimum Lag: A New Relationship Type
- Module 6 quiz
Module 7: Progress Updating8 lessons | 28 mins
- Updating Schedules with Progress
- What Information is Required for Updating
- Schedule Updating: The Interval
- Schedule Updating: Interpreting the Results
- Myths and Misconceptions of Updatings Schedules
- What is Project Controls?
- What is a Baseline?
- Assessing Percent Complete of Activities and Projects
- Module 7 Quiz
Meet Dr. Saleh MubarakSaleh Mubarak is an internationally renowned Project Controls speaker, consultant, author and educator. An authority on project planning, scheduling and project controls, Saleh is the author of Construction Project Scheduling & Control 3rd ed., a text widely used in University and College courses. He was a member of the team that wrote the first Project Scheduling certification exam for PMI in 2007. Saleh’s 26 year career in project management spans across industries in both the private and public sectors as well as over 12 years teaching in Universities, including most recently at Qatar University where he was head of the Civil Engineering department.
Who Is This Course For?
Let’s find out if this course is for you. It’s a perfect fit if….
Student #1: You are a complete beginner to project controls with no idea on how the Critical Path Method or project schedules work.
Student #2: You already know a project management software package like Primavera P6 or Microsoft Project and have built a project schedule or two, but you struggle to understand the scheduling jargon and underlying concepts.
Student #3: You are a planner & scheduler but need a refresher on project controls, CPM scheduling and Construction project management.
Basically, if you are a master of project controls, if you build complex Construction project schedules and manage them to perfection, then DON’T take the course. Everyone else: you should take the course, today.
Frequently Asked Questions
“Who is the target audience for this course?”This training is aimed at engineering and construction professionals working in industries such as Construction, Oil & Gas, Manufacturing, & Energy. The training will be helpful for anyone from complete beginners to intermediate level students looking to fill their gaps with Construction Planning & Scheduling. It’s also perfect for anyone who has previously used project management software, but never learned the underlying foundations & concepts.
“What is On-demand or Self-paced Video Training?”On-Demand training provides you with online access to the course videos which you can watch anytime and anywhere you have internet access. The courses are self-paced meaning that you can watch as much or as little as you like in a sitting – the pace is up to you to decide.
“How do I watch the videos?”Upon purchase of the course you’ll get access to the online videos where you can watch them online (even on iOS or Android devices).
“Can I download the videos to watch them offline?”No, we do not currently offer the ability to download the videos. The videos can be viewed online through your user account only.
“Is there any tests to check my knowledge?”Yes. This course offers 6 quizzes to help you verify you are grasping the concepts. The quizzes can be completed after each module (as shows in the course outlines above), with the exception of module 2. There is no quiz for module 2.
More Questions For Us?
What You Get
- 5 hours of professional on-demand video
- 56 lessons in 7 unique modules
- 6 interactive quizzes to help you gauge your learning
- a handsome certificate of completion
- 1 full year of access to the course
30-Day Moneyback GuaranteeWe stand by our training. That’s why we offer a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee on all of our courses & memberships. Start your Project Controls Training with Plan Academy today. If you are not 100% satisfied with your course or membership, we will refund 100% of your tuition at any point in the first 30 days from your registration date. There’s no reason not to get started right away.
We accept these major credit cards