Throughout history, builders have always been revered for their ability to mold the natural elements into something new, perhaps something never seen before. Building is therefore a creative act on a momentous scale.
For those lucky enough to be involved in Construction & Building, it’s an incredible joy to be involved in bringing forth from mere drawings and ideas a structure that will stand for many lifetimes.
With this in mind, here are some of my favourite quotes on Construction & Building. I hope they inspire you to see the role of builder as much more than just someone wearing a hard hat.
Famous Quotes on Construction & Building
11. “There is nothing more poetic and terrible than the skyscrapers’ battle with the heavens that cover them.” -Federico Garcia Lorca
10. “Each of us is carving a stone, erecting a column, or cutting a piece of stained glass in the construction of something much bigger than ourselves.” -Adrienne Clarkson
9. “It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; it is the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time.” -David Allan Coe
8. “We shape our buildings: Thereafter, they shape us.” -Winston Churchill
7. “Good buildings come from good people, and all problems are solved by good design.” -Stephen Gardiner
6. “I call architecture frozen music.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
5. “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” -Walt Disney
4. “When we build, let us think that we build forever.” -John Ruskin
3. “A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.” -Frank Lloyd Wright
2. “The whole difference between construction and creation is exactly this: that a thing constructed can only be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists.” -Charles Dickens
1. “A world which sees art and engineering as divided is not seeing the world as a whole.” -Professor Sir Edmund Happold
And here’s my favourite Construction movie quote that fits right in:
“If you build it, they will come.” –Field of Dreams.
Do you have a favourite quote about Construction or Building? I’d like to learn about it in the comments below.
nterlace Apartments photo on Flickr by mcartmell